2004 Jan 01 14:43

Re: [vox] webhosting/shell recomendations?

Rod Roark said:
> On Thursday 01 January 2004 10:22 am, MB wrote:
>> Speaking of static DSL... Omsoft is offering static IP DSL for $35/mo
>> and they will even put a reverse DNS entry in without fuss.
>
> As far as I can tell the reverse DNS is not a big deal.
>
> With a typical ISP the reverse lookup will get you something
> like "adsl-64-142-15-254.sonic.net".  Since many IP
> addresses are used by multiple host/domain names, there's
> hardly anyone who cares if doing a reverse lookup produces
> a specific name.
>
> However you do want the reverse lookup to produce
> _something_.  There are some mail servers out there that
> will not talk to you otherwise.

When mail servers with anti-spam systems receive an e-mail, many will rDNS
the sending host's IP and if the domain of the message is not the same as
the domain found in rDNS, then the message can get a higher spam score.

A minor "feature" (?) of not having rDNS map to your domain is that when
you visit websites, any reports that do rDNS or webservers configured to
do live rDNS. Of course, some people would prefer to have their hostname
appear in other people's web logs to better advertise their domains and
possibly create more links to their site (when reports make web pages
which are published that dynamically create links to the domain of the
rDNS. (Such systems increase the rank on google as a link from another
site to yours is one of the many metrics used by google for rankings.)

-ME