2004 Jan 01 10:09

Re: [vox] webhosting/shell recomendations?

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 00:52:20AM -0800, ME wrote:
> Rob Rogers said:
> > I knew I was forgetting to mention something... I'm looking for a
> > semi-low end virtual hosting service for now. I expect to be looking for
> > some sort of co-lo within a year or so, but like I said, 90% of my
> > traffic right now is email. I've been on a $10-15 virtual hosting plan
> > for the past few years, and have never gone near my bandwidth limits.
[snip]
> Did you read the e-mail and examine the URL included at the bottom? I am
> including them here again:
>
> http://mike.passwall.com/colocation.html

Actually, I hadn't followed the URL because you said it was a list of
colocation services. That is not what I am looking for currently. I did
just check it out, and I see only one company coming in under the $50
range. Like I mentioned in my last email, I'm looking more in the $20-25
range.

> For more up-to-date data, try checking out these two as they will likely
> be more current:
> http://www.hostchart.com/
> http://www.webhosters.com/
>
> A quick visit to http://www.hostchart.com/ selecting the checkbox for UNIX
> and then pressing search provided a number of virtual hosting solutions
> with ssh/telnet access and other things too.
>
> These last two links are very useful for comparitive shopping on price and
> features. Once you have a few selected, doing searches on google for the
> name of the provider and complaints or praise with google can give you
> some idea.
>
> At the very least, you can get an idea what you dollar can buy you.

And I have used hostchart.com before. The point of my email was to get
recommendations from people who have actually used a host they liked.
I trust a recommendation from most of the regulars of this list much
more than most other things I might bring up on google, because most of
the people on this list know Linux a lot better than the average Joe,
and know what makes for a good shell account. My current host did come
recommend to me by a friend, but they aren't a normal Linux user. They'd
just used this host, and been happy with the reliability and uptime and
such. They're not the type to use the shell a lot, and never would have
run into the jailshell problems I've been having, and they're much more
comfortable using phpMyAdmin over mysql at the command line, whereas I'd
like to have the cli available to me if I want to use it. (like when I
was installing drupal, and I'd have jump to the control panel every time
I wanted to run a 'mysql < database.mysql' for a new module I was trying
out.)