January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] RIAA-safe music

on Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 09:33:15AM -0800, R. Douglas Barbieri (doug@dooglio.net) wrote:
> Here is a nice tool for finding out if an album or recording has been
> released by a member of the RIAA:
>
> http://magnetbox.com/riaa/
>
> I am a classical music fan, and I have discovered a non-RIAA record
> label--Naxos. They are able to bring a full CD to market at prices that
> are reasonable. For example, I can get a recording of the Berlioz
> Requiem from Amazon for $11.99, a two disc set. The equivalent RIAA
> price would be more like $23.98.

Interesting point:  the recent price reductions osn some popular music
(particularly rock/pop) by some retailers specifically did *not* apply
to the classical repetoire.  Also:  while rock/pop sales are way down
from, say, five years ago, "urban" (hip-hop, etc.) and classical sales
are both strong.

...otherwise, thanks for the info, Doug.

Peace.

    "Charming man," he said. "I wish I had a daughter so I could forbid
    her to marry one ..."
    -- HHGTG