January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] OpenOffice.org for CCN

On Tuesday 16 December 2003 04:49, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> So - comments?  Corrections?  Suggestions?  I'm going to talk to Craig
> at CCN to see what he thinks... whether I should put all sorts of feature
> facts in there, or leave it at a mostly Open Source article, that happens
> to point out OOo...

I think the article is very well written.  But I have a couple of suggestions.
The most important suggestion is to *not* get into all the features in this
article.  Instead, tell the reader that you will get into those features in
your next article, and then write another articles for the next month.

When you talk about all the file filters you might say that new ones are being
added all the time.  I think they might be working on WordPerfect filters.

In a future article you might want to talk about the significance of the MS
filters.  According to an Open Office book I was looking at at Fry's the most
recent version of Word will not read Word97 files!

I also noticed at Staples that Word 2002 upgrade runs on Windows98, but Word
2003 does not!  So in the future article you might mention the economic
significnce of Open Office file filters.  You don't have to continually
upgrade *both* your word processor and your OS just to read older Word files.
But continuing to upgrade Open Office is no big deal if you can down load it
for free, or spend $6 on a CD.

Now I'd like to make my own personal comments on Open Office.  You can skip
what follows, it's not that intersting.  Given the fact that I think Star
Office 5.1 is far and away the worst word processor that I've ever used, I am
very pleasantly surprised how much I like Open Office.  It is a radical
improvement.

On a dual boot machine, it's nice to be able to open Open Office on the Linux
side and work on documents on the Windows side.

I recently finished a project with three other individuals who were using MS
Word.  I used Open Office.  We emailed documents back and forth, and there
were no major problems.

Bob