January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] [OT] On Bill Gates, philanthropist

Bill Kendrick said:

> I wonder what strings are attached there, though.  "Heres a bunch of
> money, but you can have to spend X% of it on books about Microsoft"...?

There's an article in this month's _American Libraries_ about Bill Gates'
donations to libraries.  I haven't read it yet, but I'm sure the strings
are there.  Most of the librarians I know, though, get really twitchy when
they're told that they *must* have certain books on their shelves (almost
as bad as being told that they *must* remove certain books from their
shelves).  I'll let you know what I find.

> -bill!
> (get back to work, damnit!)

I'm working!  I'm working!  Um.  Even though we use Solaris and Oracle at
my office, my boss sort of expects me to be an open source advocate.
There, justification.

Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous
group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the
desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man.
I wouldn't mess with them."
--Michael Moore