Re: [vox] [OT] Web-based project management tools?

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 09:45:10AM -0800, Richard Crawford wrote:
> My office is looking into the notion of using an open source web-based
> project management tool to keep track of what's going on in our site.

hehe... and how is this OT, exactly? ;)

<snip>
> (I'm also looking for a "so simple it's laughable"-style introduction
> manual to CVS... anyone have any suggestions for one of those?)

The little I know of CVS is from using it for Tux Paint via SourceForge.

For my purposes, it's really a matter of:

  1. Sit down at system I wanna put a copy of my source onto, for editing
  2. Go through the 'developer check-out' steps (listed on SF.net)
  3. "cvs update"
  4. Tweak my code
  5. "cvs commit"

Then, just do 3 through 5, lather, rinse, repeat, on my other boxen.

I'm pretty much the only contributor to the code, via CVS, though, so I
rarely worry about conflicts (unless I cause them; whoops! forgot to run
'cvs update'!)

My biggest purposes for using it are to be able to easily maintain the
code from various machines, and mainly, so that other developers/testers
can get updates w/o downloading gigantic multi-meg tarballs on their
56k modem connections.

I think LUGOD's Library has at least one or two books on CVS.
Henry?