Re: [vox] The Mystery of the Dying Laptop

Re: [vox] The Mystery of the Dying Laptop

Richard,

I have a buddy with a high-end Toshiba that had this same problem.  At no
predictable interval. (2 minutes - 4 hours), the machine would just turn
off.  After a few weeks of googling and frustrating tech-support calls, he
finally figured out that it was a bios setting to shut down at a certain
heat (like you guessed).  The problem was that the machines were released
with this setting a tad too conservative for realistic use.

The fix came in the form of a bios update that set that max temp a little
higher - no problems since (except his keyboard came apart, but that was a
different issue).

I don't know if your machine is experiencing the same exact issue, but
based on what you've said it sound similar.  The problem with laptops is
how hard it is to troubleshoot anything.  It's not like you can swap out
the power supply or anything.

Hopefully those guys will take care of you...

Dave