January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] providing services from a broadband connection

Re: [vox] providing services from a broadband connection

(Listening to hold music at Verisign) :^|
David Margolis wrote:

Like a lot of you probably have done, I have forsaken my Comcast cable
internet acceptable use policy by running a small
web/mail/file/ssh/smb/etc. box out of my home network.

This is all experimental and fun, and I don't expect 100% uptime or
anything, but every once and a while my network connection just flakes
out. It's not enough to complain about or bother calling tech support
about as it doesn't happen all that often, and when it does it's no more
than an hour or two.
<snippage>

My question is this.  If I want a bit more consistancy for my Web pages
and personal mail accounts, should I have to pay for monthly hosting ON
TOP of what I pay for broadband?  Part of how I justify my $50+ a month is
by telling myself that I'm basically getting free hosting out of the deal.
Sure Comcast provides Web space, but it's not very big, doesn't support
PHP/MySQL, doesn't support my domain name, doesn't come with a shell
account, etc.
<snippage>
I have DSL through Direct Connect (www.directcon.net). Although I can't say my service is flawless (their router reconfigs due to nashi and blaster worms wreaked havoc), I am reasonably pleased with what they provide for the price. Terms of service are quite reasonable -- No restrictions on servers, static IP provided, home networks supported (for an additional fee if you mention it), etc. -- and I've been running my web, shell, and mail servers from my home network for well over two years now with only minimal downtime (a couple of minutes every few months and *three*straight*days* during the nashi worm boondoggle -- yes, I did get a service credit) due to connectivity issues. Direct Connect is Linux-friendly, too, although I wouldn't characterize it as "supported".

As for cost, it's $49.95 a month. I think they run specials from time to time, too, so ask 'em about that.

Downside: They primarily serve western El Dorado County. I don't know if their service will be available where you are.