Re: [vox] providing services from a broadband connection

Re: [vox] providing services from a broadband connection

My DSL connection is rock solid.  I haven't noticed any disruptions.
Well, maybe I have and just forgot about 'em 'cuz it's so rare.

I pay $60/mo for 1 static IP (with an option to go to 4 static IPs.)  It
gives me a shell account where I do all my e-mail checking and web
hosting.  Right now the same service is on sale at $34.95/mo (for 1 year,
and requiers commitment, then it'll go back to $60/mo.)  They also have
cheaper services (lower connection speed) for less.  If you're in the
Pacbell area, you can get this deal from sonic.net

-Mark

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, David Margolis wrote:

> Like a lot of you probably have done, I have forsaken my Comcast cable
> internet acceptable use policy by running a small
> web/mail/file/ssh/smb/etc. box out of my home network.
>
> This is all experimental and fun, and I don't expect 100% uptime or
> anything, but every once and a while my network connection just flakes
> out.  It's not enough to complain about or bother calling tech support
> about as it doesn't happen all that often, and when it does it's no more
> than an hour or two.  It's no more flakey than anybody's DSL that I know,
> and for the most part it's a real rock solid, fast, consistant connection
> that I don't mind paying for given what I get.
>
> The most recent outage was yesterday.  My cousin e-mailed me and said "hey
> I can't access those pictures of your son you sent me."  I was I work, so
> I tried to SSH in and...nothing.  A few hours go by, and
> sure enough, it's back up.
>
> My question is this.  If I want a bit more consistancy for my Web pages
> and personal mail accounts, should I have to pay for monthly hosting ON
> TOP of what I pay for broadband?  Part of how I justify my $50+ a month is
> by telling myself that I'm basically getting free hosting out of the deal.
> Sure Comcast provides Web space, but it's not very big, doesn't support
> PHP/MySQL, doesn't support my domain name, doesn't come with a shell
> account, etc.
>
> Is anybody struggling with this sort of thing?  I have plenty of scattered
> Web accounts so it's not like i'm lacking for Web space, but nothing
> supports what I want to do quite like my perfectly customized box.
>
> Let me reiterate that I don't think my internet connection is really to blame.
> They provide what they claim to provide in a reasonable manner.  To
> complain that I don't have a solid enough connection to provide services
> I'm not supposed to be providing isn't going to fly anyway.
>
> Just fishing for thoughts...is anybody paying for broadband, but also
> paying for separate Web or Mail hosting?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave Margolis

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius