Re: [vox] Why open source?

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:27:44AM -0800, kulkarni veena wrote:

> But I would like to get a better understanding about
> open source and why would big corporations like IBM
> etc would want to support open source?

Joe had some good comments, as usual (e.g., IBM vs Microsoft)

When I think about this, trying my hardest to think like an IBM exec ;^),
it seems speed and cost are major, tangible benefits.

The software's already written (like it would be from any commercial vendor
or partner).  It's tweakable, like it MIGHT be from other commercial vendors.
And it costs nothing, monetarily (unlike almost all commercial vendors ;^) )

Of course, I'm making this odd distinction between "Open Source" and
a commercial vendor, but hopefully you get the jist. :^)

I'm still getting over a beat-down of a cold I caught over the weekend,
so I'm kind of rambling, sorry :)

You might want to poke around sites like Linux.com, and magazines like
Linux Journal and LinuxWorld Magazine, for some more corporate-level views
of Open Source, and Open Source-level views of corporations :)