Re: [vox] Video Card On a Budget

rusty,

if you're into ebay, a voodoo 3 would cost you between $10 and $20.  you
can't do much better than that.

although 3dfx is no more, they were one of the best friends the open
source community had.  they opened up their specs before anyone else.
the card is *extremely* well supported on linux.

in addition, it hardware accelerates opengl, so you'll be able to use it
to play most commercial linux games.  you'll certainly be able to play
quake 3.

the voodoo 5 will cost you between $40 and $60, but for that price you
can get yourself an old (1st generation) radeon.

btw, speaking of radeons, ATI is not a friend of OSS.  i have to eat
crow here: although NVIDIA has a bad rep for not opening up their
drivers, they've done a LOT more than ATI ever did to make sure that
linux users can use their cards.  NVIDIA may not be a friend of OSS, but
they're very linux friendly, for the most part.

don't know much about modern matrox cards, but i think matrox opened up
their drivers.  the killer gamer combination 5 years ago was a Voodoo 2
passing through to a matrox millenium...   the good old days.   :)

pete