2003 Nov 25 14:41

Re: [vox] my mother has seen the light

On 2003.11.25 12:15, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
On Tuesday 25 November 2003 07:01, Katie wrote:
> She's ready to try linux, but she's a little
> leary. I want to make it as easy as possible on her so she doesn't
feel
> like she has to go back to Windows.

I forgot to mention one thing. I think people who move to Linux from
Windows,
and who aren't leaving their computers on 24 hours a day need to learn
edit (or otherwise deal with) /etc/crontab. If they don't then they
may end
up with the mystery of losing some disk space.

My editing on this new system has not yet capped /var/log/messages as
it did
on Mandrake. If I'm not mistaken, I can just delete "messages" when I
want.
But the ordinary computer user should be aware of this disk space
issue.
Are you saying you want to edit crontab to run logrotate at some time when the computer is on? Mandrake installs anacron by default, and anacron will make-up on startup if it missed the cron time.