2003 Nov 25 09:25

Re: [vox] my mother has seen the light

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 08:42:23AM -0800, Edward Elliott wrote:
> Lindows is specifically targeted as a Linux distribution that will be
> a Windows replacement for the non-technical user. Take a look at the
> product at http://www.lindows.com . One assumption is that the user
> has a high speed connection to the internet so that the one-click
> software update / install process works easily. If your Mom has a
> dial-up connection, then this is probably not a good solution.

On the flip side, I don't know a single Linux geek who has even taken a
look at Lindows, and as such, she'll have a hard time getting help with
it from the local community.  Mandrake might not be a bad call (it's
aimed at home users), but whatever Katie does, she should be the one
that sets up the machine for her mother.  Ergo, I'd choose a
distribution based on the combination of whatever Katie likes and
whatever the local LUG likes.

Be sure to take the time to sit down with her and make sure it does what
she needs, and to call her a week after the initial set-up and make sure
things are working; you can also use ssh to access your mother's machine
remotely (to help her out with software installs and such), and once
you've got the setup tuned, it really doesn't take that much to keep it
running.

Your mother might also want to look at taking an 'Introduction to Unix'
class at a local community college; they're usually night classes, and
cover the basics, like 'rm' and 'ls'.

> You can find pre-installed Lindows machines at WalMart.

I don't think she was talking about buying a new computer for her
mother...