2003 Nov 24 23:42

Re: [vox] More Linux news in SacBee

On Mon 24 Nov 03,  6:56 PM, Jim <evesautomotive@charter.net> said:
> Yes I saw that and I automatically thought of LUGOD.
>
> Linux will e unstoppable in the next 5-10 yrs.
>
> Not knowing beans about this subject i have often wondered about people
> building programs that run in Linux. Are they automatically free?

hi jim,

the simple answer is no, they don't have to be.  the author makes that
determination.  if you write a program and want to give it to the world,
that's your choice.  you could also choose to make the program non-free,
and as the author, that's your choice too.

just as in the real world, there are different types of freedoms.  it
can get a bit complicated.  but the simplified answer (which happens to
be completely correct even if it's not the full story) is, you determine
what happens to the software you write.

> Lets say that I make a program that runs in linux that makes repair orders,
> has a database of my customers and other bells and whistles.  Could I sell
> this software to other shops or is it since it runs in Linux it means that
> it is automatically free?

there are issues like "what kind of freedom" and using other peoples'
tools to help make writing your program easier, but barring those
complication, you have complete control over what happens to your
software.  you can sell it, or give it away.

pete