2003 Nov 26 06:24

Re: [vox] [OT] Resource Recommendations Sought

On Mon 24 Nov 03, 12:25 PM, Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> said:
> I'm working on a paper for my Systems Analysis class for library school on
> the value of open source projects for libraries.  I'm looking for some
> good resources that would help with this project.  I think that the OSS
> community is one of the most important elements, and I already have _The
> Cathedral and the Bazaar_ as part of my resource list, but I'm looking for
> others.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions?
>
> Sláinte,
> Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)

hi richard,

no, but i read something that may be useful for your paper.

a few weeks (months?) ago on /. there was an article that a company was
sued for using the dewey decimal system.

apparently, the dewey decimal system is patented and you need a license
to use it.  here's the article:

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/09/21/143231.shtml?tid=99

this would be a sterling example of why open source would be important
to libraries.  imagine -- today, libraries are feeling bush's economic
crunch harder than just about anybody.  the money they pay to lease the
dewey decimal system could be used to ... buy more books.  it's a
travesty.

anyway, in trying to find the above link for you, i also came across
this, which looks like it might be directly related to your paper:

http://www.geneva.edu/~bvds/library/

hope you find this useful!

pete