2003 Nov 19 09:45

Re: [vox] Outlaws redux

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 01:57 am, zeruch@pao.damagestudios.com wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:16:37PM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> > >
> > > Usually an entities general council (if in house) is the
> > > 2nd or 3rd ranked c-level officer in a company.  They
> > > *do* make the business decisions.
> >
> > Or not.  The suggestion remains as the key point.
>
> im willing to bet in *any* decision at a company like Lucas
> Arts of this scale (and at any company where licensing is
> involved) its a legal decision at the end.

The decision would certainly have a legal component.
However legal is there to find problems.  To say "hey, that
sounds like a great idea, let me run it by legal first" is
equivalent to saying "let's soak it in the toilet for a few
and if it still smells good we'll run with it".

My point is to give Pete a practical suggestion.  There's no
way a legal department is going to bless the idea of giving
away IP.  If it's not championed by someone with a broader
vision, it's dead.  Therefore: find someone else in a
decision-making capacity to talk to, or give up.

-- Rod