2003 Nov 12 16:44

[vox] tivo... dead... =( help!

I have an 80 hour series 2 Tivo.  It ain't booting up anymore after I
power-cycled it to replace the power strip it was on.  Now it goes nowhere
after "welcome.  powering up..."

I had some backup images of *some* of the partitions of the hard drive
from earlier this year so I tried restoring as much as I can (after
backing up the existing partitions, of course).  I had backed up all the
partitions except for the 4 MFS partitions because they were huge.  Also,
there were corrupted blocks in my /var partition so I couldn't read about
5 consecutive blocks (5 blocks * 512 bytes/block) of that partition...
except now the # of problematic blocks seems to have increased to 8
consecutive blocks.

So I restored all the partitions I could (all non-MFS partitions, less the
8 inaccessible blocks).  Now the Tivo goes to "welcome.  powering up..."
-> "almost there" -> power cycle.  This repeated at least 5 times before I
turned it off.

Does anyone have an idea as to how I can fix this?  Does anyone have an 80
hour series 2 Tivo I can mirror-image off of?  I know it's a big hassle so
I'll pay you.  Thanks!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim