2003 Nov 12 13:00

Re: [vox] Strange things people believe

John McDonnell said:

> The Mozilla Project was bron inside Netscape, but was later spun off
> from  Netscape.

Yep.  I remember when it happened.  I was just a young newbie, then,
hadn't yet created my first website.  My reaction was something along the
lines of, "Uhhh... what?  Um, okay.  Whatever.  Open source.  Gotcha."

>> and since Netscape is owned by AOL, Mozilla only complies to whatever
>> standards AOL decides to comply with, not with any W3C standards.
>
> Netscape was bought by AOL. Around the same time (if my memory isn't
> playing tricks on me... ), teh Mozilla project became a separate entity.
>  AOL does not own the Mozilla Project. Standards compliance has always
> been  one of the principal goals of the Mozilla Project.

I recall the purchase of Netscape by AOL as being at least a couple of
years after the birth of the Mozilla project.

It was a weird e-mail that I received (I'd ranted that San Jose State's
website for the MLIS program could only be viewed in IE and no other
browser).  I sent her some links and only goggled at her insistence that
IE 5.5 was the only truly standards-compliant browser.

Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford

AIM: Buffalo2K ICQ: 11646404 Y!: rscrawford
MSN: underpope@hotmail.com
invisible to the eye." --Antoine de Saint Exupéry