2003 Nov 06 22:11

Re: [vox] Typical LUGOD meeting duration?

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:46:22PM -0800, p@dirac.org wrote:

> jey, the best thing you can donate to lugod is time.  attend the
> meetings faithfully.  that's the number one way to support a LUG.

Well, there are people who have helped tremendously, but have never,
or only rarely, had the chance to attend a meeting.
(Tim Riley comes to mind ;^) )

I do agree, though, that attendance is important.  I was getting really
nervous at the beginning of this week's meeting.  Our speakers drove
for hours (thanks to bad traffic) from the bay area, and it wasn't until
a bit later that we had a 'decent' attendance.  Of course, it was
voting day, it was being held on campus, and I didn't have the chance to
advertise it heavily on campus and around downtown Davis.

Hrm, I'm rambling, sorry...

> if you want to donate more time, help with the numerous projects that
> lugod is involved in.  lugod is the most active lug i've ever seen, and
> all the activities (from demoing linux at conferences to monthly demos
> in davis to presentations at organizations to installfests) need
> volunteers.   some of these things need technical expertise (ie-
> installfests) and some need none (demoing linux at the co-op).

Yes!  Definitely!  We have a mailing list dedicated to this, 'vox-outreach.'
Sign up!  Post something!  Let's talk about the kinds of projects we can do.
It's been months since we've had a demo at the Co-Op (since we've been so
busy with bigger, longer conferences), or a class on Linux basics with DCN.

> time could also mean time spent answering questions on vox-tech,
> engaging in friendly conversation on vox, or even running for an officer
> position.

Yep!  Nominations began the other day.  (Oh crap!  I need to post
to vox-announce!)

> in terms of money, most students and out of work people donate a dollar
> or two, but i've seen up to $20.00.

Yeah, money is important, since we spend it on things like pizza at events,
CDROMs, photocopies, post office box (hey, that's due soon!), etc.

We're not flat broke, though, and in fact recently got a good deal on a very
nice projector :)

I know one thing I'd like to see done... updating and purging LUGOD's
library of Linux books!  THe website is out of date, but so are many of
the older books ;)

Contact Henry (librarian@lugod.org) if you'd like to help w/ that