2003 Nov 06 21:20

Re: [vox] Typical LUGOD meeting duration?

On Tue 04 Nov 03,  4:25 PM, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us> said:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Jey Kottalam wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'll be attending my first LUGOD meeting tonight, and I was wondering what the
> > average duration of a meeting is. Just looking for a ballpark figure.
>
> 6:30pm to 9pm, with optional after-mtg social at a local restaurant.

heh.  very cute, jeff.   :)

jey, the best thing you can donate to lugod is time.  attend the
meetings faithfully.  that's the number one way to support a LUG.

if you want to donate more time, help with the numerous projects that
lugod is involved in.  lugod is the most active lug i've ever seen, and
all the activities (from demoing linux at conferences to monthly demos
in davis to presentations at organizations to installfests) need
volunteers.   some of these things need technical expertise (ie-
installfests) and some need none (demoing linux at the co-op).

time could also mean time spent answering questions on vox-tech,
engaging in friendly conversation on vox, or even running for an officer
position.

in terms of money, most students and out of work people donate a dollar
or two, but i've seen up to $20.00.

people with real jobs, making real money, tend to give $5 - $20.  i've
seen some really generous people give $50.

these are averages, so don't feel bound by them.

but if you had to choose one or the other (time or money) lugod would
prefer to have your time.   :)

pete