2003 Nov 03 10:27

Re: [vox] Rebate hassles [was Free Stuff]

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 18:13, Tim Riley wrote:
> "Mark K. Kim" wrote:
> > Not necessarily.  The vendor gets money from the interest from holding
> > onto your money even if they do give you a rebate.
> >
> > And even if they do "get off" of paying most of their customers, if you're
> > diligent enough to follow through with the rebate then I'm sure you'll be
> > one of the few that'll be getting the rebate

I've gotten most of the rebates I send in, but I haven't been great
about making a checklist.  If I buy something with a rebate, I'll have
to do that.  Slashdot featured an article about rebates (what *haven't*
they done something about?):

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/17/2236211&mode=thread&tid=98

What really bugs me is that stores have these huge ads saying that stuff
is "free" but you have to read the fine print to see how much you pay up
front.

I really like Costco in this respect.  If there is a rebate for an
electronic item, they always list the price *before* the rebate, but
also mention that there is a rebate available.  I wish other stores did
this.  It seems a bit more fair than Frys/BestBuy/CompUSA.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Monday morning. :)

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy@linuxwebguy.com>
The LinuxWebGuy