2003 Nov 01 21:11

Re: [vox] Rebate hassles [was Free Stuff]

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 07:54:39PM -0800, ME wrote:

> p@dirac.org said:
> >
> > maybe i'm just dumb, but rebates tend not to come for me.  i've sent
> > in plenty.  certainly over 20 with all the trips i used to make to
> > frys.  i'd be surprised if i got 5 back.
> >
> > i've had more than one company require the original UPC.  my rebate
> > request got "lost".  to resolve the issue, i had to wait on the
> > phone.  my time is too expensive for that.  at some point you just
> > have to say "screw this, $20 just isn't worth it".
> >
> > really, i think they do tend to rely on the "it's not worth my time"
> > notion.  you can think of all kinds of demographics to explain why
> > some people get their rebates and some don't.
>
> I have managed to send out rebate requests for CD-R packs "for free"
> and have eventually received rebates for 13 out of 14 of these that I
> sent out to get rebates over the past 6 years. However, for hardware
> for computer systems, I am only at 1 of 3 rebates received.
>
> I think it really does matter what you buy and the reputation of the
> organization that issues the rebate.

Of the around 30 rebates that I've sent in for electronics related
purchases, I've received checks from all of them except one.  And that
one was the fault of Fry's Electronics, not the manufacturer (Antec).
They'd made a mistake on the advertised rebate dates, and then failed to
honor the posted dates.  Several of these were small and obscure
companies.  I don't think company size or reputation has much to do with
hit.  A company has to honor a rebate if all the requirements are met.

If you're not getting a rebate, most likely you missed some small
detail, or perhaps supplied illegible or incorrect information.  They
_will_ hold you to ever little detail, since they'd like to find a
reason not to send you a check.  They're counting on a certain amount of
this, which is the whole reason rebates are offered.

David Hummel
Genomics & Gene Discovery
WRRC/ARS/USDA