2003 Oct 26 08:33

Re: [vox] bondwell "portable" boat anchor computers -- getting rid of

At 03:33 PM 10/24/03 -0700, you wrote:
>My office is about to get rid of six "portable" computers -- you know, the
>25lb. two-floppy-drives-with-no-HD type of machines that are "portable"
>because there's a handle on the top.  I've been ordered to make them go
>"away".  And I can't wait for the next Lugod geek swap -- that'll be too far
>ahead.
>
>a) Anyone know the contact name for the U.C. Davis computer "museum" (i.e.
>the cases full of old equipment in the CS lab)  One of these machines is
>in-the-box, with styrofoam and MAYBE manuals.

     Dr. Walters is in charge of the museum.  I know he has a personal
interest in old portables, but his problem is because UC Davis never
supported his wish for a computer museum, he might not have room around to
store a Bondwell.  He is now a professor emeritus, but still probably
reachable at:
rfwalters@ucdavis.edu

>b) Anyone have links/contact info/etc. for the computer museum in the bay
>area? (the one that just had a sooper swap-area a couple of weekends ago.

     I don't know about THE computer museum, but I recommend contacting
Sellam Ismail of the Vintage Computer Festival at:
http://www.vintage.org/contact.php
If he doesn't want a Bondwell, he could certainly find other takers in the
retrocomputing community.  AFAIK, the CHMC at the AFB in Mountain View is
not interested in microcomputers.

>  or
>
>c) Anyone want one or more of these boat anchors?

     I'd love one, but Germany is a bit far for shipping a luggable :(

     HTH,
     Edwin