2003 Oct 24 10:31

[vox] whichcd (and RedHat going _way_ commercial)

[vox] whichcd (and RedHat going _way_ commercial)

I just discovered something very useful for RedHat users:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/whichcd/

It's a little shell program, "whichcd", which will list all the "distribution" rpms containing a specified string, and which CDs they are on. No more fumbling around trying to find some obscure rpm which I know came with a particular RedHat distribution. It also works with MDK9.0.

I used to look on the RedHat website for a list of included packages to know whether an rpm came with a distribution. Then I had to search the cds one at a time... Anyway, that list became harder and harder to find, as it was buried deeper and deeper under the "RedHat Enterprise Linux" push. This morning I went looking and couldn't find it all! Fortunately, a google search directed me to whichcd.

Anyway, I am deeply concerned about the direction RedHat is taking. It appears that they are moving towards not supporting the little guy anymore at all. In fact, recently they announced they will not be building any more distributions for single desktops; they have spun this off as the so-called "Fedora Project".

http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php?id=357123420&fp=16&fpid=0

This means no RedHat Linux 10, and I fear no more free RedHat network updates in the future.

Any of my future upgrades or installs will be with another distribution. This is unfortunate, since I feel like I really know how to use RedHat after starting new with Linux just a year and a half ago. I'm not looking forward to jumping on a new learning curve so soon...

Jonathan