2003 Oct 18 00:42

Re: [OT] Video games (Was Re: [vox] silicon valley computer stores)

Re: [OT] Video games (Was Re: [vox] silicon valley computer stores)

At 03:48 PM 10/17/03 -0700, you wrote:

anyone remember the table version of space invaders?

Yup, played it. I was thinking of the upright version...I remember once looking down into the game and noticing that
(a) the image was backwards on an upwards-facing CRT,
(b) projected into a mirror that we looked into, and
(c) there were about three different colors of acetate (gels) taped across the CRT, so as the Invaders got lower in the rows, they "changed colors." Hey! That's only a monochrome CRT! Cheaters!!

But hey, a monochrome CRT + a few gels and some tape was a whole lot cheaper than shelling out for color CRTs (and possibly programming for color??). I think that was 1977-78. Amazingly, it appeared that *same* game was still there when I returned to the Chico campus in 1995.

--john

And you forgot Zaxxon.  Also, One of my fav games was A.P.B.

those were the days...

  .     .               John C. Alden  <jcalden@dcn.davis.ca.us>
  |\___/|                       and <jcalden_www@yahoo.com>
 >> O O <<
|  | | |  |  ## PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR