January 6: Social gathering
2003 Oct 13 22:58

Re: [vox] [fwd] OpenOffice campaign: Cotati-Rohnert Park results

I seem to recall that I posted a URL to an OpenOffice flyer recently. It contains a few screenshots of OpenOffice that you might be able to use to suggest that learning OpenOffice is far easier than she thinks.

I encountered resistance to putting OpenOffice on school computers, but the justification was (supposedly) that the school technician was already overworked and so he did not want to add anything extra to the computers. However, he was perfectly willing to let me pass out CD's to students.

I can't say for sure if what you encountered is particularly common, but I've never encountered anyone who so obviously held such an attitude. In any case, it does not speak well that someone who is paid to help others to learn new things is so unwilling to learn new things herself...

Lincoln

From: Norm Matloff <matloff@laura.cs.ucdavis.edu>
To: vox@lists.lugod.org
Subject: Re: [vox] [fwd] OpenOffice campaign: Cotati-Rohnert Park results
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:40:35 -0700

I live in Walnut Creek, supposedly an upscale school district, but like
all districts these days, they are short of funds. When their computer
teacher told me she was very worried about the cost of Microsoft
products, I mentioned OpenOffice. She was aware of it, but refused to
even consider using it. She said, "I don't want to learn anything new."
To me, as a parent in that district, that was an amazingly unpolitic
thing for her to say, but it may be a common attitude.

Norm