2003 Oct 10 14:01

[vox] [fwd] New Linux distribution rocks on 32- and 64-bit systems

Since we had a talk on AMD64 the other day, I figured this'd be
interesting. :)

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Open <open@open-mag.com> -----

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 19:59:41 -0400
From: "Open" <open@open-mag.com>
Subject: New Linux distribution rocks on 32- and 64-bit systems
To: "bill@newbreedsoftware.com" <bill@newbreedsoftware.com>

October 8, 2003

Open Magazine - Your strategic guide to Open Source
http://www.open-mag.com/cgi-bin/opencgi/email/redirect.cgi?Open1008

This week at openBench Labs, our analysts finally took off the 'do not disturb' sign to allow in plates of bread, papaya, and enhanced water after they announced testing was complete on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems with SUSE's newest SUSE Linux 9.0 release. Don't confuse this as a vendor's ho-hum incremental inch-up release. They tell us that this 9.0 distro can redefine the business Linux playing field. Follow their detailed path of discoveries.

On the MandrakeSoft side, our story uncovers this France-based company's achievement in striking the right deal at the right time. Shuttle, a worldwide supplier of motherboards and SFF barebone systems, is partnering with MandrakeSoft in a 'bundling' arrangement, where new models in Shuttle's network appliance line are compatible with Mandrake Linux, as tested and certified by MandrakeSoft. Regis Wira, MandrakeSoft technology officer, reveals what he sees as the payoff.

For these stories, click on
http://www.open-mag.com/cgi-bin/opencgi/email/redirect.cgi?Open1008

Regards,

The editors of Open magazine