2003 Oct 10 11:22

Re: [vox] slashdottable news

At 06:34 AM 10/10/2003, p@dirac.org wrote:
ok, screw yesterday's report that the vatican now claims it has
scientific evidence that condoms don't help block transmissions of
STD's.

Heh heh heh.  He said "screw".  Heh heh heh.

a princeton comp sci grad student found that pressing the shift key,
while loading a CD, can defeat a copy protection method sold by a
company called sunncomm (whose motto is "lightyears beyond encryption").
the company considers this a violation of the DMCA and is now suing the
student.
In an amazing turnaround, the CEO has apparently seen the light [1] and has
backed off the threat. He doesn't want to create a chilling effect.

It just got posted to /.

--nicole "Lightyears beyond encryption? WTF?" twn

[1] Either that, or somebody warned him about the PR nightmare... nah, I'm
trying to NOT be cynical.