2003 Oct 08 13:21

Re: [vox] Everyone knows these lists are archived, right?

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 12:41 pm, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> I just got a bizarre e-mail from someone who posted to our list months
> ago, complaining that their personal information (I guess name and e-mail?)
> are posted on our website.
>
> Well, yeah... that's what happens when you post to an archived mailing list.
>

> Anyway, what was more bizarre was that they claimed that we're being
> very insulting, rude and slanderous, and threatened further action if
> we don't remove their post.
>
> The thing is... the ONLY thing on our site was THEIR OWN POST TO THE
> MAILING LIST!  Hey, if they think their own post was rude and insulting
> (it wasn't), that's their opinion.  But that they made it out as if
> WE were responsible!
>

> So, all joking aside, everyone here knows that when they post something,
> unless they specify "X-No-Archive: yes" [*], that it goes up on the
> website in the mailing list archives... right?
>
> (I mean, it IS obvious from statements like "Our lists are archived
> and searchable!" on the mailing list page, and so forth...  Isn't it!?)

When I subscribed to vox-jobs I received this:

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 12:15 pm, vox-jobs-request@lists.lugod.org wrote:
> minutes to read the mailing list rules:

[...]

This page clearly states "Our lists are archived on our
website...".

Not to mention that almost every mailing list on the planet
is archived.  I can't see what this person's problem is.

-- Rod