2003 Oct 08 13:00

[vox] Everyone knows these lists are archived, right?

[vox] Everyone knows these lists are archived, right?

I just got a bizarre e-mail from someone who posted to our list months
ago, complaining that their personal information (I guess name and e-mail?)
are posted on our website.

Well, yeah... that's what happens when you post to an archived mailing list.

Anyway, what was more bizarre was that they claimed that we're being
very insulting, rude and slanderous, and threatened further action if
we don't remove their post.

The thing is... the ONLY thing on our site was THEIR OWN POST TO THE
MAILING LIST!  Hey, if they think their own post was rude and insulting
(it wasn't), that's their opinion.  But that they made it out as if
WE were responsible!

So, all joking aside, everyone here knows that when they post something,
unless they specify "X-No-Archive: yes" [*], that it goes up on the
website in the mailing list archives... right?

(I mean, it IS obvious from statements like "Our lists are archived
and searchable!" on the mailing list page, and so forth...  Isn't it!?)

Upset,  :^[

-bill!

[*] http://lugod.org/documents/faq/lugod-faq.html#ARCHIVEHEADER