2003 Oct 03 11:06

RE: [vox] Stupid filter tweaking -oops.

HEH
I have had NO email vector viruses in any Exchange server setup that I admin in years.  I block a lot of attachments.  If you are going to block block MS executables, block them all.  All on the list can carry viruses.  I block them at the gateway, and on the server level.  IF someone does catch something, then they only mailbomb their box, and when it hits there limit, it stops.
http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq_appxj.htm

I don't like public RBL's.  Someone might blacklist the world. :)  Except when used as part of a point system or such.  I do bock a lot of eastern block nations, china, tiawain and wanadoo.fr and misc others.

It is why I am looking at xmail (www.xmailserver.org).  It does spam assassin, so if I can get the time to set it up and be comfortable with it, then I can propose it save some money for th ecompany.

-sp

________________________________

From: vox-admin@lists.lugod.org on behalf of Rod Roark
Sent: Thu 10/2/2003 9:21 PM
To: vox@lists.lugod.org
Subject: Re: [vox] Stupid filter tweaking -oops.

On Thursday 02 October 2003 07:01 pm, Steven Peck wrote:

> The point of testing it at home is that it is a 'live' contained
> environment and to find out if it is something I am willing to use

Are you using an RBL?  Spamcop's is very good and I use it
as a first line of spam defense; it catches a LOT of junk.

After that, I am sad to say, I blacklist some entire
countries for mail that goes to me or to my business.
100.00% of the mail I have received from China, Taiwan and
Korea has been spam or viruses.  Maybe someday they will do
something about it.  I'm close to zapping Brazil also.

Then there is my simple virus filtering that I mentioned a
while back on vox-tech; all mail containing a MS executable
is rejected at the door.  Not that I care about MS viruses
getting in, but they are annoying and take up space.

The rest gets in and SpamAssassin tags most of it, though
it's something I could easily live without.  I bump up the
threshold to avoid false positives.

-- Rod