2003 Oct 02 15:09

Re: [vox] What would you do with...?

Shoutcast is really good (though not free).  Icecast is VERY good but the
documentation is sketchy.  The developers of Icecast have given MP3 the
finger and only support Ogg in their 2.x series (you have use the
non-supported 1.x series or do some serious hacking to get Icecast 2.x to
stream MP3, but the how-tos are there).

I've given up on Icecast since I've got nearly 3700 (mostly hip-hop) mp3s
that play on my internet radio (Shoutcast) and move effortlessly between
the Linux box (the server) and two OS X machines.

I get my home music collection at 96kbps all day here at work in a random
order (with a nice 4-second cross fade at the end of each song just for
effect). And of course it works at home too.

I am a big fan of Ogg and have considered moving to Ogg/Icecast 2.x but
that will happen when I have a month off of work (i.e. probably never).

Look at Shoutcast if you want a quick and easy binary install, and look at
Icecast if you want full control, free/open software, Ogg instead of MP3,
etc.

Put that old laptop to work (a cele 300 should be plenty, but you might
run out of diskspace)!

Dave