2003 Sep 24 20:35

Re: [vox] suggestions for webcam

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 03:18:41PM -0700, Ken Bloom wrote:
> I don't think the camera has such great image quality, I've noticed that
> if I use the camera's driver on Windows then I get much better image
> quality than I can on Linux, although I don't know how this works out
> and what parts of the software are responsible for it (whether it's the
> kernel module that would be responsible or whether it's the image
> aquisition program - in windows it seems they are the same thing)

Sometimes there's some proprietary video or image encoding that happens,
that can be hard to extract when all you can do is reverse-engineer.

Mike Machado from SacLUG (I think it was him) told a big long story about
his woes writing a webcam driver for such a device.

So YMMV.  It might be good to try to find a webcam that works WELL under
Linux, not just _works_.

(I have the same problem with my printer.  It can print some GORGEOUS
full-color printouts.  I just can't do it from Linux. :^(  Stupid HP!)