2003 Sep 24 15:35

Re: [vox] suggestions for webcam

I have a ViewQuest M318B for USB that I got for $5 from someone on
ucd.swap. It required an special kernel module (spca50x available from
spca50x.sf.net). I spent 4 hours learning the process of compiling a
custom module for my kernel, and found out that in general the process
should take no more than 15 minutes. The driver uses the Video for Linux
interface (also called v4l), and it lets you read data through the
/dev/video* devices.

I don't think the camera has such great image quality, I've noticed that
if I use the camera's driver on Windows then I get much better image
quality than I can on Linux, although I don't know how this works out
and what parts of the software are responsible for it (whether it's the
kernel module that would be responsible or whether it's the image
aquisition program - in windows it seems they are the same thing)

I've been using gqcam to read images from my camera (because I'm usually
looking for still shots), but I've tested that the camera works with
gnomemeeting too. (Gnomemeeting is said to be compatible with Microsoft
NetMeeting for your scattered relaties who use Windows).

I once tried video capture, and somehow ran across a bug in the kernel
module that instantly and completely rebooted the system. I have no clue
how to debug it or work around it.