2003 Sep 20 10:12

Re: [vox] Crashing Dells?

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 10:00, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> people ask for laptop recommendations.  So I am now asking whether anyone
> here has had a problem with crashing Dells.

What constitutes a 'crash'?  Does someone mean a software error?  A
hardware defect?  Hardware incompatabilities?  Some people (I'm not
inferring the poster) use this term for almost anything technical that
they don't really understand.

I've had a Dell Inspiron 7000 (Celeron 400 MHz, 128 MB RAM) for about 5
years now, and only had two issues, both required a warranty request.
The hard drive had bad sectors, and the keyboard stopped working one day
(they replaced the keyboard, everything worked fine).  I have run Win98,
Win 2000 Pro and Server (for fun), SuSE 6.3 (yeah, old laptop),
Mandrake, Redhat, and Debian (with a 300-day uptime once).  I've used it
both as a server device (a wireless gateway with firewall, smtp, http,
ldap, cups, and samba servers) and currently as an email/web/im station.

Actually, there was a third problem that happened recently.  After years
of bending the LCD, the right LCD hinge (connecting the LCD to the base)
broke, causing stress on the remaining left hinge.  I took the whole LCD
unit off, and now simply use an external monitor.  I've thought about
trying to find a way to use the LCD either with the laptop or with a
desktop.

But to answer your question, no, I haven't had any problems with my Dell
unit.  If I had the money, I'd go get another one. :-)

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy@linuxwebguy.com>
The LinuxWebGuy