2003 Sep 19 21:15

Re: [vox] x86-64: AMD, intel and compatibility

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 11:24 pm, p@dirac.org wrote:
> hi all,
>
> tom's hardware hints that the new 3200+ is the last 32bit athlon (and
> it got _trounced_ in the reviews.).  since i won't be ready to build a
> new computer anytime soon, my next computer is probably going to be an
> AMD x86-64 machine.  that's kind of a scary thought.

Intel is going to be offering a 32 bit arcitecture for the forseeable future,
An article mentioned that they are making the push for 32 bit in business
only to begin with, AMD is going full force. AMD's 64 bit arcitecture is a 32
bit interface with a 64 bit mode much like the old IA32 was a 16 bit
interface with a 32 bit mode... for proper memory access. Eventually
the 16 bit mode will be dropped off and 64 will be left for when 128 comes out

> so i've been wondering about these questions...
>
> if the itanium-1 isn't x86-32 compatible, and the itanium-2 is very slow
> at x86-32 compatibility, how does intel propose to stay in business?
> are they really banking that we'll all throw away our 32 bit software?

no they are providing support for a 64 bit OS and a 32 bit emulator
think OSX/OS9

> are the AMD x86-64 systems really supposed to achieve 100% 32bit
> software compatible?

theoretically

> and what about hardware?  can i just stuff all my PCI and ISA cards into
> a motherboard designed for an AMD x86-64?  IDE stuff?  SCSI cards?  the
> works?

PCI yes, ISA - very few modern boards take these now. IDE(most first and
second edition board will probobly support EIDE PC133 and SATA. Server boards
will support SCSI Raid or your scsi card.

> pete

< Hans

- --
Hans W. Uhlig         "Life is a long and lonely road,
deathguard@yahoo.com      Bring a Friend."
Technical Associate
Staples Inc.

GnuPG:
Fingerprint: 4B8F A504 83E3 8D24 4079  8932 C317 A820 4E33 A20F
Public Key:  http://purple.worldforge.org/~huhlig/deathguard.asc