2003 Sep 14 13:22

Re: [vox] PowerMac 8100/110

At 9:16 PM -0700 9/13/03, Ken Bloom wrote:
I had the good fortune on move-in day that I found a discarded PowerMac 8100/110 in the trash outside my apartment. Upon pluging it in and turning it on (headless) I heard it make the happy-macintosh chime, so I think it's usable. This prompts the question of what I should do with it.

I'm buying the appropriate adapters to connect it to the network and to connect it to a standard SVGA monitor, and I was thinking about bringing it to the installfest so we could all get some experience installing ${DISTRO}, a PowerPC based linux distribution on it.

To do this, I need:
(a) A ride to the installfest
(b) A suggestion to fill in ${DISTRO}. What would you guys like to gain experience installing on it?

The 8100 is a nubus machine. It has no PCI slots.
So linux may be a bit challenging, but apparently it can be done.

I mac-googled nubus linux and got some promising hits.

Have a look at this:
http://www.flexistentialist.org/archives/000118.shtml

Keep me posted on your progress on this.
I have a similar machine I'd like to install linux onto.
In fact, if you need a ride to the install fest, let me know.

btw, if you still need an ethernet 10T/AAUI adapter, I've an extra you can have.

Larry
--
Macintosh Paramedic
530-758-9260