2003 Sep 13 05:51

[vox] FWD: [alerts@action.eff.org: Sign our Petition to Stop the RIAA Lawsuits!]

Many of you may already be signed up for EFF's Effector List, but if
not, I feel it is my duty to pass this on to everyone in vox-land.

All they need is 10,000 signatures.
----- Forwarded message from Effector List <alerts@action.eff.org> -----

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:21:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Effector List <alerts@action.eff.org>
To: doug@dooglio.net
Subject: Sign our Petition to Stop the RIAA Lawsuits!

Dear EFF Supporter:

This is astounding - in the first 24 hours, over 6,000 people have signed
our petition to stop the Recording Industry Association of America's (RIAA)
nationwide rampage against average Americans.  Rather than working to
create a rational, legal means by which its customers can take advantage of
file-sharing technology and pay a fair price for the music they love, it
has chosen to sue people like Brianna LaHara, a 12 year-old girl living in
New York City public housing.  Take a stand against the RIAA's tactics by
signing our petition:

http://www.eff.org/share/petition/

Brianna, and hundreds of other music fans like her, are being forced to pay
thousands of dollars they do not have to settle RIAA-member lawsuits --
supporting a business model that is anything but rational. This crusade is
generating thousands of subpoenas and hundreds of lawsuits, but not a
single penny for the artists that the RIAA claims to protect.

Copyright law shouldn't make criminals out of 60 million Americans, and
it's time for a change.  Congress is going to hold hearings; we need your
help to make sure that the public's voice is heard.  Tell Congress that
it's time to stop the madness:

http://www.eff.org/share/petition/

We'll deliver the petition to Congress once we've hit 10,000 signatures.
This is a grassroots campaign - please take the time to tell your friends
and family about this issue. Thanks for support!

Sincerely,

Ren Bucholz
EFF Activist