2003 Sep 08 21:08

Re: [vox] [fwd] City of Largo requests features of Dia ... :-)

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:45:19PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Saw this over on SVLUG, and thought I'd pass it along, if only for the
> 'cool' value. :^)
>
> -bill!
[snip]
> Dave Richards
> City of Largo, Florida.
> Systems Administrator

For those who didn't recognize the sig from the fowarded email, Largo,
FL was probably the first city to switch over to Linux (over 2 years
ago)

http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/08/10/1441239&mode=thread&tid=23

Monday August 13, 2001 - [ 02:03 PM GMT ]
Topic - GNU/Linux

- by Robin "Roblimo" Miller -
Walk into the Largo, Florida, city hall and look at the two computer
screens behind the reception desk. Instead of the typical Windows
"Start" button in the lower left-hand corner, they have a KDE "Gear"
logo, as do almost all of the 400-plus monitors on Largo employees'
desks. Receptionists, administrative assistants, and division fire
chiefs here all use Linux instead of Windows, and most of them don't
really notice one way or the other. But the elected officials who are
responsible for Largo's IT budget certainly know about and notice Linux,
because using Linux instead of Windows is saving the city a lot of
money.

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/12/04/2346215.shtml?tid=19

Monday December 09, 2002 - [ 09:42 AM GMT ]
Topic - Advocacy

- By Robin 'Roblimo' Miller -
We're back in Largo, Florida, checking on advances in the Linux-based
network they use to run the city's computers that we wrote about last
year. True to Largo's "City of Progress" motto, these guys have not been
standing still. Now they're talking about Linux-based terminals in all
the city's police cars. Microsoft has tried -- and failed -- to bring
them into the proprietary fold. And, possibly most important, we have an
amazing cost figure that ought to make you ask your local politicians
why their IT operations aren't as efficient as Largo's.