2003 Aug 25 12:59

Re: [vox] Register.com: Notice of Class Action Settlement and Hearing

Re: [vox] Register.com: Notice of Class Action Settlement and Hearing

R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
Are there any other Register.com customers out there, and if so, did you
get this?

I also received this email. It caused me to ask two questions:

1. What legal organization in its right mind would think that sending an email as notification of a class action settlement to net-savvy (read: spam-deluged) people is going to result in a significant response rate?

2. Aren't there specific legal requirements for publication of legal notices when the recipients' physical addresses are (presumably) available through regular channels (e.g., whois lookup or simple discovery process of requesting defendant's records)?

In short, I haven't opened or read the .pdf attachment, even though, as a Register.com customer, I theoretically could benefit from a settlement of whatever grievances (looks like a standard dot-com friends-and-family stock preference deal to me) are alleged.

You've obviously done more homework than I. Thanks for the links!

Excerpt from email:
"Attached is a Notice of Class Action Settlement Final Approval,
relating to a settlement of a class action involving Register.com, Inc.
Please read the attachment carefully and completely.  If you are a
member of the Class, the attachment contains important information about
your rights under the Settlement."

Here is the law firm's web URL (from the FROM header):
http://www.gardencitygroup.com

The "Received:" lines look okay to me:

4.20) id 19qzq8-0006RF-FV for DOUG@TRUG.COM; Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:43:48
-0400

I also found lots of hits on google with the search string "Register.com
class action". This one in particular at least makes this look
legitimate:

http://securities.stanford.edu/1021/RCOM01-01/

--
Marc Elliot Hall           www.hallmarc.net/quick_resume.html