2003 Aug 21 11:56

Re: [vox] [OT] Slammer knocked out nuclear plant safety monitoring system

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 07:18:43PM -0400, Rob Rogers wrote:

> I just read this article this morning...The most interesting part I
> though was they assumed they were safe because they had a firewall, but
> it came in through a non-firewalled entrance. They had an T1 going from
> an outside contrator's site to a point on their network that was behind
> their firewall. The lesson to be learned here is, just because you trust
> someone else, doesn't mean you can trust their network. :)

Yeah, it's interesting...  Every time a huge virus comes out, I overhear
the warnings "Don't open any files unless they come from someone you know!"

Well, (1) if the virus took over your friend's computer, that blows that
out of the water.  (2) if the virus is simply SPOOFING your 'trusted'
friend's e-mail address, it blows it out of the water AGAIN.

I guess it comes down to:  don't open files.  Unplug your computer.
Put it in a safe.  Bury yourself underground.

Oh, and don't forget the Tin Foil Hat 2003 (tm)

;^)

bill@newbreedsoftware.com                    Was I useful?  Rate this message!
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=billkendrick