January 6: Social gathering
2003 Aug 12 02:06

Re: [vox] password stolen at linuxworld

Yeah it usuallyl comes down to theory vs. implementation. Books on theory usually have a longer life span, but don't tell you much about how to protect your computer using the latest and greatest firewall rules. Books on implementation will tell you how to protect yourself using today's tools, but go out of style faster than the latest and greatest reality show. In security I think that's kinda the nature of the beast unfortunately. One outdated book I would recommend checking out is "Securing and Optimizing Linux" which can be found here(legally I hope):

http://www.mc.man.ac.uk/LDP/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/

It's outdated, but I really liked it because a lot of the time it would not only tell you what you should change to secure your system, but why you should change it and what's at risk if you don't. There's also complete pdf of the book floating around out there somewhere if you don't mind searching.
I'm actually a student in the graduate security program at Davis so if anyone has any questions about the program feel free to ask. I'm sure there are many people on this list who know much more about linux security and security in general than me, but I'd be happy to answer any questions about the program itself. I think in general many people would be suprised by how little practical security knowledge you actually get in the graduate program here. Most of what your taught is theory and any practical knowledge gained will be picked up in research or projects of your own choosing. I'm really not sure if this is typical of departments everywhere, but the longer I'm here, the more I believe that we are the rule rather than the exception, atleast among research institutions. -Adam

ME wrote:

A book?! :-o Heh. My fu is not that strong. Maybe when I am in the later
stages of an advanced degree?

One thing to point out with computer security and books:

You will often not find books that speak of popular issues in computer
security, which remain popular for very long. Obselesence in the computer
security world (exploit, measure, counter measure, counter-counter
measure) is a moving target. By the time such a book is written, it is
obsolete. :-/ (Such books are equitable to fad-based fiction that are
here today, popular for a while, and then later viewed with a
chronocentric perspective with statements like, "what was he/she
thinking?!"

Better books in computer security have been written. They often take a
general approach. Such books are more like text-books. These books do not
cover specifics so much as they cover fundamentals. These books permit the
reader(s) to apply the fundamentals to their specific problem(s). Since
many of these books presently provide adequate to excellent computer
security information, it would be difficult to try to write YAB in this
area. (Think that whole, "ground of contention," thing as discussed in the
AoW.)

These kinds of things are best offered in seminar, presentation, or
dated-courses. Sometimes such work can be presented in white-papers online
so that the content can remain nearly as dynamic as changes in focus in
computer security, but vigilance is required.

Counter to all of the above... If such a book were written, I would
probably read it when it was new. (heh heh)

-ME

John Mark Walker said:

Speaking as the resident publisher on this list, I smell a book. Anybody
interested? Such as the person I'm responding to? :@)

-JM