2003 Aug 01 11:25

Re: [vox] [OT] Solaris, Oracle, and other painful subjects

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:59:12AM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
> Now that we have successfully upgraded our website from WindowsNT/IIS
> to Solaris9/Apache, we're facing the much more daunting task of
> upgrading our database from MS-SQL Server 2000 in WindowsNT to
> Oracle9i on Solaris 9.
>
> Has anyone out there done something like this?

One thing my coworker mentioned when he tried this on one of our 420R's
was that the Oracle installer wanted to slice up the destination drive,
which wasn't possible for the drive configuration at that time.  So it's
probably best to have a dedicated disk, series of disks, or an array
before proceeding (depending on your needs of course).  It may be
possible to override this, but you'll get better performance that way
anyhow.

David Hummel
Genomics & Gene Discovery
WRRC/ARS/USDA