2003 Jul 31 16:01

Re: [vox] i will never again complain about DSL prices in davis

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, John McDonnell wrote:

> On the 31st day of July, Peter Jay Salzman said to me:
>
> > but i _really_ would like to have a static IP.
>
> I'm on Comcast here in Elk Grove[1] and I've had the same IP since I first
> connected.

Not uncommon, but not universal by a long shot.  Some ISPs actively make
it difficult to setup servers.

> Linux and the likes[2] can be configured to take out and ultra
> long lease on the IP.

I am unaware of any provision in ipcp (used in pppoe) for the
client to specify what lease time it will get... I think the access
concentrator simply drops the connection if it wants to change the ip
address.

While dhcp does include a feature to request lease time, the server is
under no obligation to honor that.  If _I_ were setting up a dhcp server,
I would feel under no obligation to allow long leases.  (I don't see any
problem with re-assigning ip addresses to the same client, but shorter
lease times allow better monitoring of the connection.)

> I'm not sure how well this would work in NJ so, as
> always, YMMV.

True.  Flippant suggestion (I haven't done it recently)... maybe
check out dslreports.com.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing