2003 Jul 31 16:01

[vox] i will never again complain about DSL prices in davis

[vox] i will never again complain about DSL prices in davis

just checked broadband options in my new area in new jersey
(plainsboro).  it's awful.

cable through comcast:
$32/month till dec 03
$45/ month after that
max speed: 1.5Mb/sec

dynanic IP.  even their business plan is "quasi dyanmic" whatever that
means.  this is a good speed at a nice price.  but i _really_ would like
to have a static IP.

DSL:

ADSL 79.95/mo  with 5 static IP's

DSL  159.95/mo with a static IP and 144 kb/s up/down speeds

unfortunately, the entire area code (!) of 609 can't get line based DSL.
pfaw!  they're probably running crossbar switches...

the best option is wireless DSL, which goes at 1.1Mb/sec for $99.95/mo.
unfortunately, the installation cost is $762 (which can be split if i
can find other people who are willing to share the cost).  that goes
beyond "ouch".  it's more like "kill me now".

seems like wireless DSL is the way to go, if i can find other people to
split installation.  other than cable, none of these options are cheap.

i will never again complain about DSL prices in davis.   :(

pete