2003 Jul 31 08:04

Re: [vox] DSL modem & Linux

Any Alcatel-compatible ADSL modem will probably work.  Even if you choose
Omsoft, they have to go through SBC, and SBC uses Alcatel-compatible ADSL
modems.  BTW, I'm selling one of my old ones at the geek swap this
Saturday.  I'm thinking I'll sell it off for maybe a dollar or two.  It
might be worth it just to try it.

-Mark

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Dan Willenbring wrote:

> I'm fairly new to the Davis area, and am moving into a new place.  I was
> looking to get Omsoft DSL, as per a few recommendations, but am unsure of
> the modem they want to sell me.  They don't really provide specifications
> on their website and the person I spoke to on the phone didn't know much
> more than the website.
>
> As I understand it, any ADSL modem will work?  I have an overpriced Cisco
> 678 I was using back home (Minnesota) but I think that it's RADSL only.
> Anyone have any recommendations for Linux friendly DSL modems that work
> with SBC/Omsoft?  Something with a standard Ethernet out and maybe SNMP or
> similar for configuration would be nice.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Dan Willenbring
> www.omitted.net