2003 Jul 25 15:44

Re: [vox] linux+ certification

<quote who="Peter Jay Salzman">
> hi all,

Hi Pete

> anyway, it was a cool experience, and i think i'll take sair or LPI
> next.  i've seen A+ and it looks pretty easy also.  sooner or later, i
> plan on taking RHCE, which looks very difficult because the questions
> are extremely "hand-on redhat tools" based.  i may need to install
> redhat somewhere...  ;-)

Thanks for the info.  I totally forgot about Linux+.  I might look at
adding that to my resume.

I do have A+ under my belt.  It's an interesting test.  It consists of 2
exams, one primarily software, one primarily hardware.  Software covers
Win 9x and NT stuff, things like 'what makes a boot disk' and 'what order
does NT process these files: ... ', and 'what do you click on to get to
the device manager in 98'.  The hardware exam consists of questions like,
'what's the irq number of the cascading port' and 'what is the address for
lpt 1'.  There are some troubleshooting questions, like what to do first.
There weren't any customer service questions, and both tests are adaptive,
meaning if you get a question right they give you a question of increasing
difficulty.  If you miss a question, you get a question of lesser
difficulty.  If you do well, you get fewer questions, which range from
20-30 on both tests.  In the end, you get a point value and a pass/fail
remark.  I finished both tests in about 9 minutes total.  I think I scared
the receptionist.  I bought a big fat hard cover book (it's from exam cram
or someone) that's like $70 and it over-prepared me for the exam.

I bought the Osborne study guide book on RHCE, and I hope to take the exam
Aug 11 in SF.  From what I have read, the test is hands-on, and you really
really need to know the redhat install process (including all the options)
and the redhat-specific administration and configuration utilities.  It
also sounds like they mail you your test results. I hate the suspense of
not knowing. :/  After I take the exam, I'll let you know about my
experience.  I also am taking just the exam, and not the week-long class
and exam.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner - jeremy@linuxwebguy.com