2003 Jul 17 23:53

Re: stuff only / Re: [vox] wiki recommendations

On Thursday 17 July 2003 12:03, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> CC'd to Eric's personal box, in case he's been kicked before I got a
> chance to respond.
>
> Pete, I do think you're going a little overboard to expect that that
> particular personal mail be excluded from posting, as it had directly
> to do with the manner in which he posted; and his response was to
> correct the problem. It wouldn't make sense for him to do that without
> an explanation of why he corrected it; and including your message
> seems appropriate to me, considering there is no personal or
> confidential material in it.

You know, I'd like to come to Pete's defense on this one. It looked to me in
his private message to Eric he was trying very hard to get be polite,
reasonable and discreet. I agree %100 with Pete on this one--post a small
exerpt at the very least with your URL. It's common courtesy, it's a list
rule and it's Pete's job to enforce the rules of the list. Call him anal, but
I just say he's being thorough and consistent, not sick and controlling.

> But Eric, your post below is completely uncalled-for; it is nothing
> but kick-bait, and I would not be in the least bit sympathetic with
> you should Pete decide that this is justification for your removal
> (but then I suppose you're expecting that). Not only is the text of
> your message inflammatory, but you've *completely* and deliberately
> ignored his request that you keep personal mail off the list, by
> posting a personal mail yet again. *And* apparently ignored the
> reply-to setting as well (no ribs about the list's reply-to munging,
> please). If I were Pete, I'd sure as hell kick you. Whether Pete's
> response seems appropriate or not, your counter-response is way, *way*
> out of line.

I agree. Eric could have easily written instead:
"It was pointed out to me that I forgot to include an exceprt as to what my
link was about. Here it is: *blah*"
See how much nicer that is? :-)

Eric did *not* need to include Pete's post verbatium. That was just plain rude
and vindinctive. Please, folks, let's refrain from name calling and rude
treatment of each other. Need I even mention that this list is archived and a
made available to international search engines? :-) Just remember that if
you're trying to find a job and your prospective employer searches for your
name on Google, your flames will come up.

> And Pete's point is valid: in public forums, it is *always* best to
> double-check with the author before posting a personal message, no
> matter how innocuous it may seem.
>
> -Micah

- --
R. Douglas Barbieri