2003 Jul 17 10:30

Re: [vox] [OT] Anyone know howto weld?

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 20:46, Charles McLaughlin wrote:
> The little plastic latch on my laptop that holds the screen shut keeps
> breaking.  The laptop is under warranty and Dell has replaced the part
> once, but I'd like to add some strength.

Hi Charles,

I'd like to point out another option: get Dell to replace it again.  If
it breaks, do it again.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.  The root cause is not
that the latch is made of plastic, it could be that the latch is
misaligned (due to some flaw in the laptop body or the LCD cover area)
and could use a product or QA review at Dell.  By Dell replacing it,
they can be notified of the problem and see if it's an issue worth
looking at on a bigger scale.  Or they can discover that your LCD cover
is misaligned and fix it.  By opening the cover, you could or probably
are voiding your warranty (if you have any length of time left).

Unfortunately, the first option requires Dell to have your laptop for
3-5 days, or whatever.  And one home end-user may not have as much clout
as a huge mega-business partnership (if that indeed is how you have your
laptop).  But it could help you on the quality of your next laptop if
you get it from Dell.

On a side note, I sent my Dell Inspiron in for repair at Dell when it
was under warranty, and it came back misaligned.  I have to push the LCD
towards the back of the laptop in order for the lid to close.  Since
then, one of the LCD hinges has busted, and I took the LCD out, using an
external monitor instead.  It's warranty ran out about 2 years ago, btw.

Anway, hope this provides another viewpoint.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy@linuxwebguy.com>
LinuxWebGuy