2003 Jul 14 16:34

[vox] [fwd] [imugi18n] IMUG 7/17/03: Simputer - Effectively Bridging the Digital Divide]

I've been interested in the Simputer, so I'm considering going down to this.

Anyone wanna carpool?

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from William Kendrick <bill@newbreedsoftware.com> -----

The International Macintosh Users Group presents:

            Simputer - Effectively Bridging the Digital Divide

Group:      International Macintosh Users Group (IMUG)
               (A Forum for Multilingual / Multiscript Computing)
Date:       July 17, 2003, 7-9 p.m.
Speaker:    Edward Cherlin (Encore Technologies and Earth Treasury)
Topic:      Simputer - Effectively Bridging the Digital Divide
Location:   Apple Computer, Apple Campus, 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino
               Take Saratoga/Sunnyvale exit off 280, turn South into
               Cupertino, turn left onto Mariani Avenue, left into
               Infinite Loop.
Admission:  $4, free for IMUG members
Contact:    Roger Sherman, (650) 859-5981
               roger.sherman@sri.com

The Simputer was designed for illiterate people without access to
electric power, telephones, or money. It also works as a server,
an embedded system controller, and a component of enterprise
systems providing ubiquitous mobile computing. The result is the
ability to attack global poverty on a sustainable for-profit
basis. Apple once tried to address the Indian rural market but
failed. The presentation will examine the differences between
the technologies of then and now.

Simputer projects include completing Unicode support for modern
languages, text-to-speech software for multiple languages, voice
recognition for multiple languages, health, education,
microbanking, an instant emergency Internet Service kit, a
realization of the Alan Kay Dynabook, and much more.

Edward Cherlin is the Evangelist for the Simputer, a Linux
handheld for poor people. Ed has been in high tech for 26 years,
doing market research, software development, writing, editing,
and publishing. He is also setting up a non-profit corporation,
Earth Treasury, to fund non-commercial Simputer projects.

IMUG has its own site on the World Wide Web: http://www.imug.org.
Check it out!  There are some holes in the archive, but we're working on
fixing that.

For a map of our meeting location go to: http://www.imug.org/events.html
and click on the map link.

We also post our meeting announcements and handouts at Yahoo! Groups:
http://www.yahoogroups.com, under the group name "imugi18n"
(IMUG-i-eighteen-n).
-- end of forwarded message --

----- End forwarded message -----